by Fr Jim McGarry SDB
In the tower of St James’ Church, Bootle, there are ten bells. They have not been used in seven years because of the condition of the tower.
One of the bells, the largest, is the original tolling bell, known as “Big Tom”. There are nine other bells were cast in 1924 at the O’Byrne Foundry, Dublin, to form a peal. Inscribed on the largest of the nine bells are the words: “This peal of bells is erected to the memory of the late Canon Kelly, for 37 years Rector of St James’s, RIP”. The remaining eight bells have a name inscribed on each one: Our Lady of Lourdes, St Bernadette, St James, St Joseph, St Patrick, St Anthony, The Little Flower, and Gemma Galgani.