On Saturday, 17th June 2017, in the Parish Church of Our Lady of Lourdes, East Kilbride, our brother Kevin O’Donnell SDB was ordained to the Priesthood by the Right Reverend William Nolan, Bishop of the Diocese of Galloway.
In the presence of his mother, sister and brother, and supported by his Salesian Family, Kevin promised to;
- discharge the office of priesthood as a worthy worker with the Order of Bishops
- exercise the ministry of the Word worthily and wisely, preaching the Gospel and teaching the Catholic Faith
- celebrate faithfully the mysteries of Christ handed down by the Church, especially the sacrifice of the Eucharist and the sacrament of Reconciliation
- to pray constantly for the people entrusted to his care
- to be united more closely every day to Christ the High Priest
And finally, Kevin promised obedience to those in authority in the Salesian Order.
This joyous occasion was celebrated by many friends, family and parishioners in the congregation (including Fr Tadeusz from Rome), in a church beautifully prepared with displays of flowers.
Bishop Nolan in his sermon reminded Kevin about the care a shepherd needs for his sheep, and that people should not meet a ‘grumpy priest’ even at 2 o’clock in the morning!!
A reverent silence descended on the congregation as the Bishop called for the outpouring of the Holy Spirit as he laid his hands on Kevin’s head. Fifty priests followed the Bishop in laying their hands on Kevin’s head as they prayed for him and his ministry.
Dressed as a deacon, Kevin discarded his stole and was soon presented to the people of God in the robes of an ordained priest much to everyone’s delight.
At the end of the service, the Bishop politely spoke directly to Kevin, offering him “a parish by the sea” if he was ever looking for a new job”!!!
Outside in the sunshine the celebrations continued whilst all were serenaded by the Cubarsi String Quartet.