Province Study Day explored Youth and Vocations Ministry
Posted: Tue, 11 May 2021 11:11
On Saturday 8th May, the SDB Province held a Study Day with Fr Rossano Sala SDB, who was one of the two Secretaries during the Papal Synod on Young People, and was involved in preparing the original discussion document which culminated in 'Christus Vivit'.
Joining by Zoom from Rome, Fr Rossano presented two sessions on his paper, 'Youth Ministry after the Youth Synod - Ten points of no return in pandemic times'. The ten points are:
1. LISTENING - The existence of young people is an appeal from God
2. FRAILTY - The young need tenderness and want reconciliation
3. SEARCHING - Young people showed they were always open and available
4. DISCERNMENT - We are all called to question ourselves
5. PROCLAMATION - We are called to share the joy of the Gospel
6. SPIRITUALITY - Young people need to be accompanied towards a solid friendship with Jesus
7. FAMILY - Let's move toward a familiar youth ministry
8. VOLUNTARY WORK - The regal way of charity and responsible service
9. VOCATION - Young people are loved personally and called by God by name
10. SYNODALITY - God and young people are united by a great and a common desire
After lunch, each community was invited to reflect on three questions;
- What presence does the community currently have with regard to youth ministry in its pastoral work?
- How are the members of the community seeking to build the sorts of relationships with young people, individually or in groups, that facilitate accompaniment?
- How does the community, in its different works, encourage and enable young people to discern what God may be asking of them in their lives
The day concluded with a general question and answer session, where each community reported back.
For the morning session, we were delighted to be joined by Sr Pauline Clark FMA (Provincial) and the FMA Community at Blundellsands.
Fr Bob Gardner SDB
Vice Provincial and Delegate for Communication and for Youth Ministry